Thursday 4 July 2013

BMB: Bahn Mi Boys (Queen and Spadina)

Mmmm can you say Vietnamese Sandwiches? Ever wonder why they are in French baguettes? Vietnam was a French colony from 1874-1954, and so under French influence, they ate baguettes! A little French-Asian fusion there. Haha who knew you could learn history through food? 

Anyway, back to BMB. I've wanted to try this restaurant ever since the first time I walked past it last summer. Non-traditional Viet fillings in a Viet sandwich. Sounded both delicious and interesting. So I finally had the opportunity when Benita asked to meet up for dinner to catch up after I came back from Europe. 

The Food:
There were Vietnamese sandwiches (on baguettes), steamed buns, and tacos available with various toppings. I got the pulled pork Vietnamese sandwich, and Benita got the five spice pork belly. The duck confit and lemongrass pork both sounded interesting as well. The people next to us had the steamed bun, which I would definitely try if...I mean WHEN I go again :)

The Verdict:
The sandwiches were good! The bun was not hard and crusty, but soft and just right! A wee bit skimpy on the filling, but otherwise it was a good experience. Can't remember the exact cost but it was worth my 6 bucks!!! (more or less :P) I'd go back! It's not a large restaurant, and a lot of people get their bahn mis to go, but we managed to swipe a spot and we sat and chatted for an hour. Not bad especially considering we were there during dinner time! 
Queen Street location - The original deal!


Pulled Pork Bahn Mi



Benita and her Five Spice Pork Belly Bahn Mi (and soy milk :P)

1 comment: